THE SIX THEMES OF KALYNA COUNTRY
Kalyna Country (Ecomuseum Trust Society) has promoted the rich heritage of our region since 1992. The following is a brief summary of the main themes that we focus on to promote Kalyna Country.
We are the largest Ecomuseum of the hundreds of Ecomuseums in the world, and we should be proud of this:
1. Geography – Our parkland, rivers & prairies
2. Our natural history – Wildlife, fishing, bird watching
3. Our aboriginal community – Treaty Six is in our region & Métis are important contributors to our culture. Consider this; the aboriginal people inhabitated the land about 10,000 years before the explorers came to the area.
4. The period of the European explorers – Post 1700. The six forts on the North Saskatchewan River are the first footprints of these explorers’
5. The agricultural era – Post 1800
6. The modern era – Post 20th century development to present
An Ecomuseum is like a rural/open sky museum for all to enjoy. We create the opportunity to attract day trippers and weekenders to our region and to enrich themselves in the culture of North Eastern Alberta.
Kalyna Country wants to work with business, communities, organizations and the citizens of the world to share in this rich heritage.
Our focus will be on:
• Business & economic development support for communities in our region
• And the six major themes for our region
We want to encourage the communities in our region to promote interconnecting tours and provide the public with a smorgasbord of culture in Kalyna Country.
If you want to be part of this exciting team, call our office and enjoy the experience.
Wayne E. Taylor,
President, Kalyna Country Ecomuseum Trust Society